For many, the first impression of a country is probably the airport. Travel advice site sleepinginairports.net asked travellers to rate their airport experiences – and Cape Town International Airport topped the list in Africa.
To rate the airports, various categories were considered, such as security, comfort, Wi-Fi access, cleanliness, food options and pay-to-use lounges.
The results saw three South African airports make the top 10 list, including Johannesburg’s OR Tambo airport in fourth position and King Shaka airport in Durban at number six. Juba International in South Sudan was the worst according to the survey.
Singapore’s Changi Airport was named the best in the world, while at the opposite end of the scale, Jeddah King Abdulaziz International Airport in Saudi Arabia was the lowest ranked.
Best Airports in Africa
1) Cape Town International Airport, South Africa
2) Kigali International Airport, Rwanda
3) Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport, Port Louis, Mauritius
4) OR Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg, South Africa
5) Houari Boumediene International Airport, Algiers, Algeria
6) King Shaka International Airport, Durban, South Africa
7) Rabat-Salé International Airport, Rabat, Morocco
8) Angads International Airport, Oujda, Morocco
9) Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi, Kenya
10) Cairo International Airport, Egypt