If you’ve got a voracious appetite to see world and taste its myriad of cuisines, then Lonely Planet’s list of the world’s top food experiences was made for you.
Called Lonely Planet’s Ultimate Eatlist, the publication’s community of bloggers, writers and staff traversed the world to find the best food spots, culminating in a book featuring 500 eating experiences ranked by some of the best chefs in the world, such as Adam Liaw.
“This is not a list of the 500 best restaurants or chefs, or dishes. This is about the overall experience of eating a particular dish in a specific location,” explains Editorial Director at the travel guide book publisher Tom Hall.
Factors such as “taste, its cultural importance, and the special atmosphere of the location” where considered for each of the entries.
At the top of the list is a bar-hopping experience sampling the best traditional tapas, or pintxos, in and around the streets of the coastal city San Sebastián in Spain.
Top 10 Food Experiences Around the World
1. Pintxos in San Sebastián, Spain
2. Curry laksa in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3. Sushi in Tokyo, Japan
4. Beef brisket in Texas, USA
5. Som tum in Bangkok, Thailand
6. Smørrebrød in Copenhagen, Denmark
7. Crayfish in Kaikoura, New Zealand
8. Bibimbap in Seoul, South Korea
9. Pizza Margherita in Naples, Italy
10. Dim sum in Hong Kong