Set in a tucked-away corner of the beautiful Cape Winelands, Opstal Stay is the new home of chic country-style hospitality.
Located on the Opstal Wine Estate, in the picturesque Slanghoek Valley, this new luxury accommodation experience features five contemporary and supremely comfortable freestanding units.
Attie Louw, seventh-generation winemaker and operator, together with brother Zak, proudly notes that Opstal Stay came to life in 2019 after years of dreaming, planning and working.
“We set out to create a smart but homey farm environment with the best view in the Cape! Our accommodation is luxurious, featuring clever design details but ultimately offering comfort and relaxation in a place that’s really special.”
A Family Affair
With each unit tastefully developed by the entire Louw family he explains, tongue-in-cheek, how challenging it was at times to keep track of and try to find a mid-way between every family member’s unique opinion and advice. “But it was all worth it,” he says.
“Opstal was established in 1847, so we have a tremendous but proud responsibility to retain the legacy of this farm and its important role in the local community. We’ve kept our heritage front and centre, with each of the units named to honour those personalities that make up our rich and colourful history.”
Today, Attie and Zak’s goal remains to offer friends, family and guests an estate experience like no other. With guidance from sixth-generation Stanley and Ria Louw, Opstal also features a popular restaurant, a well-proportioned wine tasting as well as a stunning wedding venue.
A Stay For All Seasons
The Slanghoek Valley abounds with breathtaking views of vineyards, fynbos and mountains. And the Opstal farm features some of the best panoramic perspectives of it all.
Both discerning travellers and families with children will appreciate the peace and quiet of Opstal’s self-catering units throughout the year.
In winter, snuggle up next to the slow combustion fireplace inside, or wind down in the hot tub outside.
Summertime offers late afternoon sundowners on the deck, a cool splash in the deck tub and the perfect end-of-the-day braai outside overlooking the valley.
Guests can treat themselves to pizza and wine or a hearty meal prepared by chef PJ Lombard in the lovely estate restaurant. With to-die-for views overlooking Slanghoek valley and a great and hearty menu, it’s rated number one on Tripadvisor in its area.
Numerous leisure activities and excursions are available in the Slanghoek Valley and greater Breedekloof Valley and there is an activity or attraction to suit everyone’s tastes.
Here is a summary of the activities recommended by Opstal.
- Enjoy breakfast and lunch at Opstal’s restaurant from Wednesday to Sunday. Opstal Restaurant
- Learn about pairing wine with cheese while enjoying a wine tasting and/or cheese and wine pairing at Opstal. Opstal Wine Tasting and Cheese and Wine pairing
- Get in touch with nature and get a bit of exercise as you explore the Opstal or Jason’s Hill Hiking Trail in the Slanghoek Valley. Opstal Hiking trail. Jason’s Hill.
- Try a gin pairing at Ou Stokery on the R101, also referred to as the Old N1. Ou Stokery
- Navigate beautiful landscapes while mountain biking in the Slanghoek Valley at Slanghoek Cellar. Slanghoek Cellar
- Explore the hidden Louwshoek while fly-fishing at Dwarsberg Trout Hideaway. Dwarsberg Trout Hideaway.
- Learn about birds found in the Breedekloof Wine Valley while bird-watching at Bergsig Estate. Bergsig Estate.
- Join a unique and interactive Italian cooking class at Picardi Place.Picardi Place